Sunday, November 15, 2009

My green escape


Living in the big city. Thinking of the countryside. This happens to me a lot these days. I think it has less to do with the pollution and filth you find in the big city, and more to do with the desire to see more of the color green. Seriously. No kidding. At least, that's the case with me - a completely ordinary urban dweller living in the heart of Karachi. You don't really get to see too much green color in Karachi. There are very few trees and green patches - unlike Islamabad (the capital city) which is lush green with a couple of 'green belts' lying between residential sectors and many bushes and shrubs scattered here and there. Even the skyline is adorned with the beautiful, lush green Margalla hills that Islamabad is so famous for. Me thinks it's a perfect paradise for a green lover- if he does not not have pollen allergies, that is!

As I said before, Karachi does not have much greenery. But, quite recently, I have discovered that Karachi's greenery is not so little as to ignore. It is little but it's there. You just have to be rightly positioned to be able to see it. Like, this one time, I was standing on the roof of an apartment building and I got a good view of my concrete-jungle-like city, except that it did not look too 'concrete-y' from the top. In fact, it was quite green and there were so many trees scattered about among the buildings and roads that I was surprised I had not noticed them before. So many green lollipops were peeking out at me from between those tall, lifeless buildings and quite a lot were mushrooming along the sides of the roads. I was quite surprised to see so much greenery and felt totally ungrateful for not having noticed all the green that my city has to offer. Man is seriously a fool. We never see all those lollipops. We're too busy looking at the big chocolate bar.

No comments:

Post a Comment